Architect: Lee,Annan, Miller, Hatch
Redeveloped: 1987 Kimble A. Cohn
The Old May Company Department Store is actually a complex of several structures, beginning with the Bradford-Martin Building.
The complex of buildings on Washington and Lucas Avenues now commonly known as "The Dollar Store" was built in stages between circa 1875 and 1905.
of years of neglect, the complex--first joined under one roof by the
May Company in 1905--is of preeminent architectural significance as the
only remaining Commercial Palace from the years of St. Louis´
most dramatic growth.
Although the basic building material in the complex is brick, the elevations on Washington Avenue are Bedford stone (painted) and cast iron.
Stories range from five to seven but the overall height of the complex is approximately 80 feet throughout.
The monumental entrance bay from 1898 enhanced the Washington Avenue façade; the first story store-front modifications are non-contributing.
It was built in 1875 by Francis D. Lee and Thomas B. Annan for Bradford Bros. and Lindsley & Orr, and was occupied by D. Crawford & Co. from around 1897 to 1903, when Crawford was bought out by the May Company.
On its east side stood the 1876 Finney Building . In 1898, they were combined into a new mercantile "palace" by St. Louis architects Weber and Groves who also added the monumental glass-domed entrance.
David May of the May Company, owner of the largest retail company in the U.S., purchased the building in 1904 and enlarged it by incorporating the Meyer-Bannerman building (1888) behind it and adding an addition.
After the May Company moved to the Railway Exchange building in 1913, the building was subdivided