|Bell Telephone Building (1890)
S.G. Adams Building (1925)
Architect: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
Status: renovated into lofts and ground-level retail.
Built as the original Bell telephone of Missouri Building.
Opened in 1891, all calls for the 2900 subscribers were routed through the 6th floor switchboard
In 1913 an alliance with three other companies created Southwestern Bell, headquartered in Saint Louis.
A seventh floor was added in 1919
It has since housed a stationary business.
The architects were the successor firm to the influential H.H. Richardson,
whose stylistic influence is evident throughout much of 1890s architecture.
- The former S.G. Adams Building was addedd to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.