Vince's St. Louis:
B131 - Drury Plaza Hotel



<< Previous Building               Next Building >>

Drury Plaza Hotel Built: 2000
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
132 ft. 10 floors

- This hotel is an adaptive reuse of the AAmerican Zinc Company Building and the adjoining International Fur Exchange Building.

- This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

- This building was saved by Charles and SShirley Drury who happened to pass by as the building was undergoing demolition. Demolition was halted when they made arrangements to purchase all three buildings.

- The early stages of demolition damaged tthe facade of the Fur Exchange Building and the Thomas Jefferson Building. Both buildings were repaired and the Thomas Jefferson Building was given a new brick exterior to help it blend in with the Fur Exchange Building.
International Fur Exchange
Drury Plaza Hotel Built: 1920
Architect: George W. Hellmuth
Building was aquired by the Carradine Hat Company in 1948. Added building next door in 1959.
Thomas Jefferson Building
Built: 1959
American Zinc, Lead and Smelting Company Building
Built: 1967
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum

The building exemplifies the modernist aesthetic.
Built with the seldom used Vierendeel truss system creating a rigid steel frame expressed in a stainless steel grid.

<< Previous Building               Next Building >>