Updated 03/25/2008
click here for printable file

B#

B#

NAME

ADDRESS

LOCATION

Notes

B1

Globe - Democrat

710 North Tucker

Tucker between Delmar and Lucas

Built: 1931
Architect: ?
166 ft. 7 floors

B2

TG Station (?)

711 N. 11th

11th & Lucas

Built: 1875 Façade 1904
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B3

Hadley Square

701 N. 11th / 1101 Lucas

11th & Lucas

Built: 1903
Architect: Isaac S. Taylor
100 ft. 7 floors
Former home of the Hadley Dean Glass Co.
A building whose powerful structure had to carry hundreds of tons of stored glass.
The 1930 foyer decoration has Egyptian motifs etched in Vitrolite, a colored reflective glass. The building´s best features are its brick cornice and its overall restrain. There do not appear to be any outside modifications. Inside, the lobby has been modified and remains the most important feature of the building. The lobby is done in Egyptian style with glazed vitrious tile. An Egyptian chandelier by Tiffany is also in the lobby. The lobby was an addition about 1928.

B4

Days Inn

1133 Washington

Washington & Tucker

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                                       Now closed, proposed apartments pending

B5

A.D. Brown Building

1136 Washington Avenue

Washington & Tucker

Built: 1897


Architect: Roach & Roach

132 ft. 9 floors
- This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. 
- The A.D. Brown Building will undergo conversion from office to owner-occupied condominiums beginning in early 2005. 

B6

Levis-Zukowski Mercantile
Company Building
Lucas Lofts

1113-1127 Washington Avenue

Washington between 11th & Tucker

(Cheerful house building)                                                                                  (Levis-Zukowski Mercantile Company Building)                                                          Built: 1896
Architect: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
7 floors

B7

Taylor Building

1130 Washington

Washington between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1901
Architect: I. Taylor
? ft. ? floors

B8

 

1122 Washington

Washington between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1909
Architect: Muran & Russell
? ft. ? Floors

B9

Vanguard Building

1110 Washington Ave

Washington between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1901
Architect: I. Taylor
116 ft. 8 floors
- Landmark Capital LLC transformed the building into 82 loft style apartments in 2004. Retail space is available on the first and second floors.

B10

Lucas Building?

614 N. 11th

11th & Lucas

Built: 1905
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B11

Bee Hat Building

1021 Washington Avenue

Washington & 11th

Built: 1899

Architect: Isaac S. Taylor
107 ft. 7 floors


Designation: City Landmark, Eligible for National Register of Historic Places,
A hat company (possibly the Gauss Langenberg Hat Co.) operated there for some time before the Bee Hat Company moved into the building. Four brothers began the Bee Hat wholesaling and distributing company in 1926 and their business remained on Washington Avenue from October 1944 until the beginning of 2000.


- There are plans to redevelop the building into 36 one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments from the second through seventh floors. A restaurant and a boutique retail store will be located on the first floor. 
- Eleven terra cotta lion heads, which were attached to the buildings gutters to drain water to the street, will be connected to the building's steam lines and each lion will roar every half-hour or so.

B12

Lindell Real Estate Company Building

1015 Washington Avenue

Washington between 10th & 11th

(Washington Building)

                                                                                   

Built: 1901
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Garden


7 floors  One of the first St. Louis buildings to have its front facade entirely clad in terra cotta.
"The building is of the modern, slow burning construction. It rises to a height of seven stories and is divided into two stores by a 40-foot court in the center, which is reached by a drive from Lucas Avenue. The seven-story mercantile building at 1015 Washington Avenue is significant not only as a fine example of turn of the century commercial architecture but also as an exemplar of the local crafts and trades which helped propel St. Louis´ late nineteenth century growth into a major metropolis."

B13

Dorsa Lofts

1009 Washington Avenue

Washington between 10th & 11th

Built: 1899
Architect: Eames & Young  -

façade 1946 M. Loomstein
? ft. ? Floors

B14

Curlee Building
Pyramid lofts

1001 Washington Ave.

Washington & 10th

Built: 1899
Architect: I. Taylor
? ft. ? Floors

B15

Merchandise Mart Lofts

1000 Washington Ave

Washington between 10th & 11th

(Rice - Stix Building)                                                                                                                                                                                          (Liggett and Myers (Rice-Stix) Building)                                                                                       (Liggett & Myers Tobacco Co. Building)
Built: 1888
Architect: Isaac S. Taylor
150 ft. 7 floors
Originally built for local tobacco magnates Liggett & Myers the building was taken over by Rice - Styx in 1907
One of the greatest treasures of the Washington Avenue garment district is this, the Merchandise Mart. Hewn from massive rusticated blocks of granite at street level, with terra cotta details far above, this building holds a truly commanding position on the street, filling an entire city block.
The great old warehouse has been unused for many years; however, renovation began in the summer of 2001 and is now mostly finished. The building has been converted into 213 apartments, which began opening at the end of 2002

B16

Lammert Building

911 Washington Ave

Washington between 9th & 10th

(Hargadine-McKittrick Dry Goods Building)                                                           Built: 1898
Architect: Eames & Young  - Remodel: Mackey and Assoc. 1985
Former furniture store, home to Webster University and the STL chapter of AIA  "The Lammert Furniture Company Building at 911 Washington Avenue is significant as an unusually fine example of Renaissance Revival commercial architecture featuring carved stone figural sculpture. The building was one of the earliest investment triumphs of Realtor Festus J. Wade, alter founder of Missouri´s largest financial institutions--the Mercantile Trust Company. Two of St. Louis´ important pioneer wholesale and retail firms were long-term lessees: Hargadine-McKittrick Dry Goods from 1898 to 1915 and Lammert Furniture Company from 1924 through 1981."

B17

Mallinckrodt Building Bankers Lofts

901 Washington Ave.

Washington & 9th

Built: 1892
Architect: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge
7 floors                                                                                                                                Bank of St. Louis building

B18

Renaissance Grand Ball Room

900 Washington

Washington between 9th & 10th

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B19

Renaissance St. Louis Suites Hotel

827 Washington Avenue

Washington & 9th

*Was Lennox Hotel*
Built: 1925
Architect: Preston J. Bradshaw
268ft. 24 floors
This tall, thin tower stood empty for many years, but as of July 2002 has been re-opened as the Renaissance Hotel, part of the complex that also includes the Gateway's renovation.
The Lennox Hotel was renovated by the HRI Group and became an all-suite property in 2001-2002. 
- This was the tallest building in St. Louis for one year, until completion of the Southwestern Bell Building in 1926. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. 

B20

America's Center

701 Convention Plaza

Washington between 7th & 9th

Built: 1977
Architect: Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
The building was known as the St. Louis Gateway Convention and Exhibition Center and the Cervantes Convention Center before being christened the America's Center in 1993.

B21

Renaissance Grand hotel

800 Washington

Washington between 8th & 9th

Built: 1917


Architect: George C. Post

256 ft.
The Statler chain had been gone for ten years in 1966, when the building was renamed the Gateway Hotel. It limped along for two decades, closed for renovations in 1987, and never reopened. With the opening of the Convention Center right across the street, and developers clambering for more hotel room space, the Gateway seemed a blatantly obvious choice for renovation. Yet it sat vacant for years, subject to decay and several fires... until now. This was the first air-conditioned hotel in the United States.

- The Renaissance Grand Hotel consists of the original Statler Hotel tower and a 23-floor addition, which was constructed in 2001-2002. The HRI Group developed the property, which opened in February 2003. 
- The new tower addition stands on the site formerly occupied by the Lindell Building. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. 

B22

One US Bank Plaza

505 North 7th street

Washington & 7th

Built: 1976
Architect: Thompson, Ventulett, Stainback & Associates
484 ft. 35 floors
This was the tallest building in St. Louis until completion of One Bell Center in 1986. 
- The plaza and fountain just to the south were built in the late 1990s on the site of the demolished Ambassador Building. 

B23

St. Louis Center

515 N. 6th street

6th & 7th between Washington & Locust

Built: 1985
Architect: RTKL Associates Inc.
Covered mall joining Famous Barr and the now closed Dillard's
4 Floors

B24

Sticks Baer & Fuller   Dillards

601 Washington Av

Washington between 6th & 7th

Built in 1905 and 1921
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Garden
These two similarly-clad buildings were originally home to Sticks Baer & Fuller.  Dillard's department store closed here in 2002.
A proposal to renovate this vacant building into a mix of renter-occupied housing units and hotel rooms was announced in early 2004. 
- This building last operated as a Dillard's Department Store. 
- The building is connected by skyway over Washington Avenue to One City Center, just to the south. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

B25

One City Center

515 North 6th Street

6th between Locust & Washington

Built:1986
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
375ft. 25 floors
The building is connected by multiple skyways over Locust Street to the Famous-Barr Department Store in the Railway Exchange Building, just to the south.  
- The building and shopping arcade is connected by skyway over Washington Avenue to the Stix, Baer & Fuller Dry Goods Company Building, just to the north. 

B26

One Financial Plaza

501 North Broadway

Boroadway & Washington

Built: 1985


Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum

12 Floors

B27

555 Building

555 Washington Ave.

Washington & 6th

Built: 1898
Architect: Lee,Annan, Miller, Hatch,
Redeveloped: 1987
Kimble A. Cohn
The Old May Company Department Store is actually a complex of several structures, beginning with the Bradford-Martin Building.
The complex of buildings on Washington and Lucas Avenues now commonly known as "The Dollar Store" was built in stages between circa 1875 and 1905. In spite of years of neglect, the complex--first joined under one roof by the May Company in 1905--is of preeminent architectural significance as the only remaining Commercial Palace from the years of St. Louis´ most dramatic growth. Although the basic building material in the complex is brick, the elevations on Washington Avenue are Bedford stone (painted) and cast iron. Stories range from five to seven but the overall height of the complex is approximately 80 feet throughout. The monumental entrance bay from 1898 enhanced the Washington Avenue façade; the first story store-front modifications are non-contributing.

It was built in 1875 by Francis D. Lee and Thomas B. Annan for Bradford Bros. and Lindsley & Orr, and was occupied by D. Crawford & Co. from around 1897 to 1903, when Crawford was bought out by the May Company.

On its east side stood the 1876 Finney Building . In 1898, they were combined into a new mercantile "palace" by St. Louis architects Weber and Groves who also added the monumental glass-domed entrance.

David May of the May Company, owner of the largest retail company in the U.S., purchased the building in 1904 and enlarged it by incorporating the Meyer-Bannerman building (1888) behind it and adding an addition. After the May Company moved to the Railway Exchange building in 1913, the building was subdivided

B28

Meyer-Bannerman building

618 N. 6th street

6th and Lucas

Built: 1888
Architect: J. E. McElpatric
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                               Part of the 555 Washington complex now.  Include 512 Lucas (behind building) Built: 1905  Architect: W. Levy

B29

Union Market

711 North Broadway

Broadway & Lucas

Built: 1925
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
Market site since 1866
A model of cleanliness and progressive functional design boasting indoor parking for 700 cars, Union Market, reported to be the 2nd largest of its kind in the world, proved to be a commercial blunder.
A portion of the market was converted to a bus terminal in the 1930's. In 1990, a 2 story addition was added for a Drury Inn.
The bus terminal portion was demolished when the TWA Dome was built for the Rams next door.

B30

Employment Security Bldg. State of Mo.

505 Washington

Washington & Broadway

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B31

500 Broadway

500 Broadway

Broadway & Washington

Built: 1970
Architect:Smith-Entzeroth, Inc
282 ft. 22 floors

B32

Missouri Athletic Club

405 Washington Ave

Washington & 4th

Built: 1916
Architect: William B. Ittner w/ George Brueggeman


126 ft. 10 floors
A mid-career work by the same architect who designed dozens of St. Louis school buildings.
This building replaced an older Missouri Athletic Club, which burned with serious loss of life in 1913. Boatmen´s Bank was also in the building.
The building has not had apparent modifications other than additions in 1927 and 1950. The building has round arched bays on the ground floor, a deep overhanging cornice and brackets, and Lozenge windows with tile. The lower two floors are in stone, and the middle three are in running brick. On the upper four floors, the brick is in a diamond pattern. 

B33

WS Hotel

400 Washington

Washington & 4th

(J. Kennard and Sons Carpet Company building)                                              (Edison Brothers Stores Company Building)
Built: 1901
Architect: Isaac Taylor
111 ft. 7 floors
Restored: 2001 by Grewe architectural.   The main exterior materials are light brown brick and cream terra cotta, arranged on the primary facades following an Italian Renaissance configuration.

B34

Hampton Inn St. Louis Downtown

333 Washington Avenue

Washington & 4th

Built: 1963
Architect: Hausner & Macsai [Campbell & Macsai]
138 ft 16 floors
- The 2003 renovation resulted in the enclosure of the building's balconies and the addition of arched windows at the base and top of the building The metal and concrete facade was replaced by a limestone and stucco-like facade to help it blend in with historical architecture downtown

B35

Gentry Office Building

440 N. 4th street

Washington & 4th

Built: 1965
Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen

B36

Gentry's Landing

400 N. 4th street

4th & St. Charles

Part of the Mansion house project.
Built:1965
Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen
287ft 28 floors

B37

Mansion House Office Building

330 N. 4th street

4th & St. Charles

Built: 1965
Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen

B38

Federal Reserve Security Garage

410 N. 4th street

4th & St. Charles

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B39

 

410/416 N. Broadway

Broadway & St. Charles

Built: unknown
Architect: unknown                                                                                              Status: Being used by the Federal Reserve?

B40

Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis

409 N. 4th street

4th & Locust

Built: 1923
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowe
142 ft 10 floors
- The building rises to 10 floors in a rear section difficult to see from surrounding streets. Fire Insurance Maps indicate the visible 6th floor roof is 93 feet above street level. 
- The Mechanics American Bank Building formerly stood on the west end of this site.

B41

Mansion House

300 N. 4th street

4th & Locust

Built:1965


Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen

287ft 28 floors
The developer for the building was St. Louis' Teamsters Local 688. 
- The original name Chadis House came from the initials of the project motto, "Comfort, Health, Activity, Dignity, Independence, and Security". 
- This apartment building is the middle of three towers in the Mansion House Project. 
- The Mansion House Apartments replaced the demolished Landreth Building. 

B42

The Security Building

319 North 4th Street

4th & Locust

Built: 1891
Architect: Peabody, Stearns, and Furber
150 ft. 11 floors
Status: Currently being restored
- The Security Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.  The building was home to the Noonday Club, an organization of St. Louis businessmen, for many years. The lower two floors are of pink granite with pink limetsone and brick above. A prefab cast iron dome sits above the lobby and art glass tops the entranceway.

B43

Mercantile Library building

510 Locust

Locust & Broadway

Built: 1889
Architect: Henry Issacs                                                                                          Status: vacant; undergoing renovation. 
The Mercantile Library was the oldest circulating library still in existence west of the Mississippi River. The original building, built in 1852, stood within the shell of what is presently seen. The building was built in 1889 and remodeled in 1952.

B44

Paradowski Graphic Design

303 N. Broadway

Broadway between Olive & Locust

Built: unknown
Architect: unknown                                                                                                             Status: extant and in use

B45

 

??? 6th street

6th between Olive & Locust

Built: unknown
Architect: unknown                                                                                            Status:

B46

The Railway Exchange Building   Famous-Barr

601 Olive street

Olive between 6th & 7th

Built: 1914
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
277 ft. 21 floors 
Status: Still in use as office
space and the Famous-Barr store.

It is perhaps the most lavishly ornamented building in the entire city. Built as the Railway Exchange, it is now named for Famous-Barr, its principal occupant.

The building is now connected to the St. Louis Center mall, which has unfortunately suffered severely declining business in the last few years.

B47

Republic National Bank  Building

714 Locust

Locust between 7th & 8th

Built: 1917
Architect: Tom P. Barnett 

Status: Occupied by the law firm Lashly & Baer

B48

Columbia Building

318 North 8th street

8th & Locust

Built: circa 1895/1904?
Architect: Issac Taylor 
Status: Top seven stories demolished, 1977
The Columbia Building was originally a 9-story building in a Romanesque style. Little remains of it today; even the dentals along the cornice are merely painted on. This postcard view shows the building as it originally stood, along with the neighboring L&N Building and the Chemical Building.

B49

United Missouri Bank

312-316 North 8th street

8th between Olive & Locust

(originally L&N Railroad)                                                                                                                  (Phipps - Wallace store Building)                                                                 (Security National Bank)
Built: 1888
Architect: Issac Taylor                                                                                                                Status: remodeled 1925 by Klipstein
and Rathmann.
Recently renovated into loft apartments.

B50

Mercantile Trust    US Bank

721 Locust

Locust & 8th

Built: 1904 w/ later additions
Architect: Issac Taylor                                                                                                                                               Status: Still in use by Mercantile Bank's successor Firstar /US Bank

B51

The Mayfair Hotel

806 Saint Charles Street

8th & St. Charles

Built: 1925
Architect: Preston Bradshaw
189 ft. 18 floors
Status: Excellently renovated and still in use as a hotel. 

B52

The Orpheum Theater

416 North 9th street

9th & St. Charles

Built: 1917
Architect: C. Albert Lansburgh
Status: still in use for concerts. 

B53

The Old Post Office

800-900 Olive St

Olive between 8th & 9th

The Old Post Office
Built: 1873-1884
Architect: Alfred B. Mullet
The Old Post Office is among the City´s and the nation´s architectural masterpieces. It and Mullett´s Executive Office Building in Washington, D.C. are probably the best examples of the Second Empire building style ever constructed in the United States.
In the years following the Civil War, the federal government´s headquarters building in St. Louis was the Old Custom House at Third and Olive Streets. It had become inadequate for its many uses. Erection of a larger replacement was authorized by Congress in 1869 and plans were prepared by government architect Alfred B. Mullett. The proposed location was criticized as being too far west from the business district of that time.

Excavation began in 1873 but a number of construction problems were encountered, including quick sand. Actual construction, therefore, did not begin until 1873. A prime reason for the site selection was its situation along the tunnel from Eads Bridge to the Union Depot. Access to the tunnel from the post office for direct dispatch of mail did not prove feasible because of seepage of smoke from the trains into the building, and the entry portal had to be sealed.

Construction proceeded slowly because of the great care required to make the structure completely fireproof and secure. It was built like a fortress with a 28-foot deep moat around the building and sliding iron shutters on its windows. These precautions were taken because of the presence of a subtreasury branch and as a guard against possible mob violence, a reminder from the recent Civil War.
No expense was spared on either the ornamental exterior or lavish interior of the great structure, which was finally completed in 1884 after 10 years of construction. Its cost of nearly $6 million made it the City´s most expensive building for some years to come.
In later years, various federal functions were relocated elsewhere, beginning with removal of the main post office to 18th and Clark in 1912. Two years later, the Weather Bureau vacated its roost in the cupola atop the Mansard dome for a perch on the roof of the Railway Exchange Building. Most of the federal courts and offices remained in the Old Post Office until 1935, when the new government building at 12th and Market was occupied.
The old structure has been vacant since 1975, when a postal branch was relocated across the street. For many years the old building was the object of much speculation regarding its fate, after a government announcement of possible demolition in 1964. This brought a concerted effort by preservationists to save it, with various proposals for its reuse. Its condition led to the passage of a bill by Congress authorizing private use of unused federal buildings.

B54

Board of Education Building

905 Locust

9th & Locust

Built: 1891-1893


Architect: Issac S. Taylor

                                                                                                                                                                          117 ft. 7 floors 

                                                                                                                                       Status: vacant and for sale since the Board moved out in 2000.
Originally built as the city's public library, till the present building further west was constructed in the 1910s. The Board of Education departed for financial reasons, citing the cost of installing modern elevators (the current ones still require an operator!) and central air conditioning -- after having the windows and portions of the facade cleaned and painted only three months earlier.

The building went up for sale around 2000. After a few vacant years, it is currently (early 2005) being renovated as condominiums.

B55

 

913 Locust Street

Locust between 9th & 10th

Built: unknown
Architect: unknown 
Status: still in use. 
older structure with a 1950s rehab on the front? Interesting clock.

B56

St. Louis Design Center

917 Locust

Locust between 9th & 10th

Built: 1913
Architect: Harry Roach
12 floors 
Status: still in use. 
Originally built as a warehouse for Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney (whose department store was located across the street in the Syndicate-Trust), this building today houses Landmarks Association of St. Louis on its seventh floor. twelve-story reinforced concrete commercial warehouse of light buff brick trimmed with light buff terra cotta

B57

 

921 Locust

Locust between 9th & 10th

Built: 1916
Architect: N. Abraham
? ft. ? Floors

B58

Mother's Fish house?

925 Locust

Locust & 10th

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors
Was the Fatted calf in the 60's and 70's
http://www.fattedcalfburgers.com

B59

Syndicate Trust Building

915 Olive Street

Olive & 10th

Built: 1907


Architect: H. Roach


Status: vacant pending renovation 
21 ft. 17 floors
Was the original home of the Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney Department store.
- The Syndicate Trust Building was previously joined with the 1896 Century Building, which was demolished in 2004-2005. 
- Plagued with vacancies and steady deterioration since the 1960s, the Syndicate Trust Building has been the subject of various redevelopment proposals over the years. 
- The former Century Building site will be replaced with a new parking garage to support a renovated Old Post Office, one block east across 9th Street. Proposals to redevelop the Syndicate Trust Building were sought at that time. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

B60

10th street lofts

419 10th

10th & St. Charles

(Rice-Stix Annex)
Built: 1913
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
11 floors
Extra warehouse space was created for the Rice-Stix wholesale dry goods company.

B61

Farm and Home Savings and Loan Association building

411 N. 10 st                       /1001 Locust

10th & Locust

Built: 1901?
Architect: Widmann, Walsh & Boisselier?


? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                                                                                                         Possible Kinloch Telephone Company office (company sold to SWBT in 1923)                                                                                                                                             Bad cover skirt has destroyed the outside of this building, almost beyond repair.

B62

Delany Building

1000 - 1006 Locust

10th & Locust

Built:1899
Architect: Matthews & Clark
This was investment property for Dr. John O'Fallon Delany

B63

Bride's House

1010 Locust

Locust between 10th & 11th

Built: 1885 - 1903
Architect: Weber & Groves

B64

Hotel Alverne

1024 Locust

Locust & 11th

City Club (1923)
Hotel Alverne (1956)
Hotel Desoto ( 1934)
Built: 1923
Architect: Tom Barnett  Status: unknown. 

Originally a civic club,then hotel, then home to a convent for many years, then a seniors residence. Today the building has suffered loss of a considerable proportion of its original ornament.

B65

1015 Locust Building

1015 Locust

Locust & 11th

Built: 1921
Architect: ?
Redesign: ?
200 ft. 12 floors

B66

Louderman Building

 317 North 11th Street

Locust & 11th

Built: 1925
Architect:La Beaume and Klein
157 ft. 12 floors
- Loftworks redeveloped the historic Louderman Building into residential condominiums from 2001-2003. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.

B67

 

1110 Locust

Locust between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1916
Architect: Mayme Rea
? ft. ? Floors

B68

Alexander Lofts

1115 Locust

Locust between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1899
Architect: R.W. Morrison
? ft. ? Floors    - Spool Cotton / Dick Blick Building?

B69

Alexander Lofts

1121 Locust

Locust between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1906
Architect: J.D. Paulus
? ft. ? Floors  - The Alexander / Hollywood Rubber Stamp Building?

B70

Zimmerman Design & Graphics

400 N. Tucker

Tucker & Locust

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B71

 

410 N. Tucker

Tucker between Locust & St. Charles

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B72

 

412 N. Tucker

Tucker between Locust & St. Charles

Built: 1890
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B73

Saint Louis Post-Dispatch  Building

1139 Olive

Olive & Tucker

Built: 1916
Architect: Barnett, Haynes & Barnett
144 ft. 8 floors
Post Dispatch founded in 1878 by Joseph Pulitzer

B74

210.com Building

210 Tucker

Olive & Tucker

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                   American National Insurance

B75

 

1116 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1890
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B76

 

1114 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1890
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B77

Saint Louis Post-Dispatch  Print Building

1111 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1941
Architect: Mauran, Russell, Crowell & Mullgardt.
A International school slipcover was applied in the 60's
P_D moved to the old Globe Democrat bldg in 1962 and KSD radio & TV were in building from 1962 to 1982.

B78

Cosmopolitan

1112 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1925
Architect: Koplar Co.
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                 Mark Pitliangas owner. Available to rent for meetings and parties

B79

 

1107 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B80

Eleven O Eight Building

1108 Olive

Olive between 11th & Tucker

Built: 1912
Architect: H.F. Roach
? ft. ? Floors

B81

LGL Center

1017 Olive Street

Olive & 11th

Built: 1913
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell                                                                      Status: renovated and in use
156 ft. 10 floors

B82

Bussone's

1011 Olive

Olive between 10th & 11th

Built: 1912
Architect: T. C. Lee
? ft. ? Floors

B83

 

1006 Olive

Olive between 10th & 11th

Built: 1905
Architect: T. C. Link
? ft. ? Floors (Scruggs?)

B84

Thaxton Building

1009 Olive

Olive between 10th & 11th

(Eastman-Kodak Building)                                                                                Built: 1928
Architect: Klipstein & Rathmann
The façade is almost pure Art Deco, down to the half covered original sign. Mark Pitliangas owner. Available to rent for meetings and parties

B85

Ludwig

1004 Olive Street

Olive between 10th & 11th

Balmer & Weber Music Co. Building (1905)
Aeolian Hall (1907)
Ludwig Building (1970)
Built: 1905
Architect: Henry W. Kirchner
Remodeled: Maritz & Young  1925
Site of the oldest music house in Saint Louis.
Status: vacant; awaiting renovation

B86

 

1007 Olive

Olive between 10th & 11th

Built: 1890
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B87

Pennsylvania Building

217 N. 10th

10th & Olive

Built: 1908
Architect: H. F. Roach
? ft. ? Floors

B88

Bell Lofts

920 Olive

10th & Olive

Bell Telephone Building (1890)
S.G. Adams Building (1925)

 

Architect: Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge

 

Built: 1890 
Status: renovated into lofts and ground-level retail. 

Built as the original Bell telephone of Missouri Building.
Opened in 1891, all calls for the 2900 subscribers were routed through the 6th floor switchboard
In 1913 an alliance with three other companies created Southwestern Bell, headquartered in Saint Louis. A seventh floor was added in 1919
It has since housed a stationary business.
The architects were the successor firm to the influential H.H. Richardson, whose stylistic influence is evident throughout much of 1890s architecture.

- The former S.G. Adams Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

B89

 

916 Olive

Olive between 9th & 10th

Built: 1883
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B90

Frisco Building

906 Olive Street

Olive & 9th

Built: 1902, 1905
Architect: Eames and Young
168 ft. 13 floors 
Status: partially occupied;
awaiting renovation.
- This building was originally the headquarters for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railroad Company. 
- A six-bay addition designed by the same architects was added to the west of the existing building in 1905-1906. 
- The Frisco Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

B91

Paul Brown Building

208 N. 9th street           / 818 Olive Street

Olive & 9th

Built: 1926
216 ft. 16 floors
Architect: Preston Bradshaw 
Status: undergoing renovation (early 2005).
- Like the Arcade Building just to the east, this building featured an arcaded walkway running through the building. This one was L-shaped, connecting North 9th Street with Olive Street. 
- The Pyramid Companies is renovating and redeveloping of this former office building into 222 apartments, with completion scheduled for 2005. 
- The Paul Brown Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.

B92

The Arcade Building

812 Olive Street

Olive & 8th

Built: 1919


Architect: Tom P. Barnett 


214 ft. 16 floors

Status: vacant pending renovation
- The Arcade Building wraps around the north and west sides of the neighboring Wright Building. It has 16 floors at Olive Street, 14 floors at Pine. 
- Like the Paul Brown Building just to the west, this building featured an arcaded walkway running north-south through the building, connecting Olive and Pine Streets. 
- This building replaced several low-rise structures and the Holbrook Blackwelder Building. 
- The Arcade Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. 

B93

The Chemical Building

721 Olive Street

Olive & 8th

Built:1896
Architect: Henry Ives Cobb (1896)
Mauran, Russel & Garden, addition (1902)
179 ft. 17 floors
Status: Occupied 
- The exterior closely matches that of the demolished Tacoma Building in Chicago. An addition by Mauran, Russell & Garden was completed in 1902. 
- The Chemical Building is one of two historic high-rise buildings in St. Louis featuring bay windows from top to bottom, the other is the LaSalle Building. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

B94

Laclede Gas Building

720 Olive

Olive & 8th

Built: 1969
Architect: Emery Roth & Sons
401 ft 31 floors
This was the tallest building in St. Louis until completion of One US Bank Plaza in 1976.

B95

705 Olive Building

705 Olive Street

Olive & 7th

(originally the Union Trust)
Built: 1893
Architect: Adler & Sullivan  Status: Still in use as office space.
Street facade altered, 1924. 

After the Wainwright, this is Louis Sullivan's other major surviving design in St. Louis. Its street-level facade, which featured massive and heavily ornamented circular windows at the second story, was considerably altered in 1924. A remnant of the round windows may still be seen on the west-side alley, however.

B96

Gill Building

222/224 N. 7th Street

Olive & 7th

222/224 N. 7th Street
Built: 1910
Architect: Louis Curtiss  Status: Vacant as of 2002.
How this tiny building managed to survive is a mystery; the remainder of its block -- including three other similarly scaled terra cotta buildings -- long ago succumbed to the wrecking ball. 222's future is uncertain; the May Company -- owners of Famous-Barr -- strong-armed the owner into vacating the building in 2002.

B97

 

207 N 6th street

6th between Pine & Olive

Built: 1913
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B98

Millennium Center

513/515 Olive

Olive & 6th

Built: 1963
Architect: A. Epstein and Sons International, Inc.
250 ft  20 floors
This building replaced two notable Olive Street buildings, the highrise Carleton Building and the lowrise 513 Olive Street.

B99

 

511 Olive

Olive between Broadway & 6th

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B100

Lasalle Building

509 Olive Street

Olive & Broadway

Built: 1910
Architect: William A. Swasey
160 ft. 13 floors 
 
The LaSalle is one of the simplest old buildings downtown -- and one of the most handsome. With its thin profile, unadorned bay windows and simply decorated base, it seems a distant cousin of Chicago's landmark Monadonok Building.

- The LaSalle Building is one of two historic high-rise buildings in St. Louis featuring bay windows from top to bottom. The other is the Chemical Building.

B101

The Marquette Building

300 North Broadway

Olive & Broadway

The Marquette Building (1970)
(Boatmen's Bank) (1913)

 
Built: 1913
Architect: Eames and Young

 
228 ft. 19 floors
This was the last skyscraper designed by Eames & Young
A projected slender tower of ten additional stories was never built.
Being renovated into Condos 
- The Marquette Building supports a very large communications antenna easily visible from the Riverfront. 
- The Marquette Building Annex, also by Eames & Young, was demolished in 1998. This site, just to the north is now occupied by a parking garage built to spur reinvestment in the Marquette Building. 
- This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. 
- The Commonwealth Trust Building formerly stood on this site.

B102

Mansion House Offices

220 N. 4th street

4th & Olive

Part of the Mansion house project.
Built:1965
Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen

B103

Radison Hotel

200 N. 4th street

4th & Olive

Part of the Mansion house project.
Built:1965
Architect: Schwarz & Van Hoefen
287ft 28 floors

B104

Merchants Laclede Building

408 Olive Street

4th & Olive

Built: 1889
Architect: Stephen D. Hatch
128 ft. 8 floors
- This landmark building is being converted into the 195-room Hilton St. Louis Downtown during 2004-2005. This is complete now and beautiful!

The vaults are used as doors for a gift shop and business center. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.  The Merchant´s Laclede building stands at the center of a large cluster of architecturally significant buildings that run from Walnut to Lucas Avenue, and are bounded by Broadway and Fourth Street.
The building is of Greek revival design, with beige granite on the first two floors and soft red sandstone and brick above. Its corner round tower with round glass is an important feature. Inside is white marble. The Newhard-Cook entrance to the building is Egyptian and is probably an addition.

B105

Haggerty Memorial Building

 

4th between Pine & Olive

Built: unknown
Architect: unknown                                                                                                                    Status: Still in use;
exterior poorly renovated

B106

Mississippi Valley Trust Company

401 Pine

Pine & 4th

Built: 1896
Architect: Eames & Young 
Status: Still in use by Schopp Advertising; ground floors undergoing renovation  stands in one of the central business district´s greatest concentration of historic structures. Notable features include the Corinthian engaged columns and round arches and a Greek temple entrance.  Mississippi Valley Trust Company financed transportation and communication networks in the St. Louis region, and was a supporter of the St. Louis World´s Fair. It later merged with Mercantile Bank and Trust

B107

Adams Mark Hotel

315 Chestnut Street

Chestnut & 4th

Built: 1907
Architect: Frederick C. Bonsack, Sr
New Façade: Sowles Company
204 ft. 17 floors

- The Pierce Building was refurbished, given a modern facade, and an addition in 1984, reopening as the Adam's Mark Hotel. 

B108

Bank of America Tower

100 Broadway

Broadway & Pine

Built: 1976
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
275 ft. 22 floors
Was named Boatmans tower
The Bank of America Tower site was once occupied by two other highrise buildings; the Times Building on the west, and the Cotton Belt Building on the east.

Was the site of Plantars Hotel circa 1840

B109

Saint Louis Place

200 N. Broadway

Broadway & Pine

Built: 1983
Architect: Peckham Guyton Albers & Viets, Inc.
253 ft. 20 floors
- The entire southwest section is cut out below the top 4 floors, which are supported by a giant 190-foot column. 
- Saint Louis Place stands on the site of three demolished buildings: the Veteran's Administration Building, the National Bank of Commerce Building, and the Pulitzer Building. 

B110

Metropolitan Square

211 North Broadway

Broadway & Pine

Built: 1988
Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
This 42 story building is 600 feet tall, 20 feet taller than the SBC building and 30 feet lower than the top of the arch.

B111

Wainwright Building/ Wainwright State
Office Building

111 North 7th street

7th & Chestnut

The Wainwright Building
Built: 1892
Architect: Adler & Sullivan
147 ft. 10 floors 
Status: renovated and in use
as a state office building. 
 The Wainwright, as an early solution to the stylistic problem of the skyscraper, is the single most architecturally important building in St. Louis.
- The first steel-framed building in St. Louis, the Wainwright Building has an intricate brick and terra cotta facade designed by Louis Sullivan. 
- The landmark Wainwright Building was once scheduled for demolition, but the State of Missouri purchased the building for use as government offices. 
- The building is U-shaped, surrounding a light court on the north side. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places and named a National Historic Landmark in 1968.
Wainwright State Office Building
Built: 1981
Architect: Hastings & Chivetta

B112

Wright Building

815 Pine

8th & Pine

Built: 1907
Architect: Eames and Young  Status: vacant pending renovation.
226 ft 18 floors
This was the tallest building in St. Louis until completion of the Renaissance St. Louis Suites Hotel in 1925.

B113

Southwestern Bell Data Center

801 Chestnut

Chestnut & 9th

Built: 1990
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
214 ft. 12 floors

B114

SBC Center

909 Chestnut                                 / One SBC Center

Chestnut & 10th

Built: 1986
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
42 stories and 580 feet.

B115

Mark Twain Hotel

205 North 9th Street

9th & Pine

(originally Maryland Hotel)                                                                                               (Filmore Hotel)
Built: 1908
Architect: Albert B. Groves 
Status: occupied and still in use as a hotel. 
95 ft. 8 floors
- Was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995

B116

Southwestern Bell Headquarters

1010 Pine

10th & Pine

Built: 1925
Architect: Mauran, Russell, & Crowell                                                                                 Status: occupied and in use by Southwest Bell. 

This is St. Louis's best example of a building stepped back at its upper heights to avoid throwing shadows on the surrounding streets. This sort of massing was modeled after a 1917 New York zoning ordinance.

B117

Gateway Metro Credit Union

1001 Pine

10th & Pine

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B118

The Omni Hotel

1019 Pine

11th & Pine

(originally the Majestic Hotel)                                                                                 (DeSoto Hotel)
Built: 1913-1914
Architect: Albert B. Groves                                                                                     Status: renovated 1983 and still in use. The Majestic Hotel is a nine-story steel frame structure with brick curtain walls and concrete floors

B119

 

1111 Pine

Pine between Tucker & 11th

Built: 1922
Architect: Nolte & Nauman
? ft. ? Floors

B120

Peach Building

1115 Pine

Pine between Tucker & 11th

Built: 1923
Architect: F. L. Cornwall
? ft. ? Floors

B121

 

1133 Pine

Pine between Tucker & 11th

Built: 1903
Architect: Kennedy & Matthias
? ft. ? Floors

B122

 

100 North Tucker

Tucker between Chestnut & Pine

Built: 1965
Architect: ?
? ft. 11 Floors

B123

Civil Courts

10 N. Tucker

Tucker & Pine

Built: 1927
Architect: Klipstein & Rathmann
386 ft. 13 floors
The Civil Courts Building is intended to resemble the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. 
- The building occupies a site between Market Street and Chestnut Street, interrupting the greenspace running west from the Gateway Arch to 20th Street. 

B124

Gateway One

701 Market Street

Market & 8th

Built: 1986
Architect: ACI/Boland Architects

 
15 floors
- The eastside of the Gateway One site was once occupied by the demolished Title Guaranty Building and the westside by the International Life Building. 
- Gateway One is the newest major building in the Gateway Mall, stretching from the Gateway Arch at the riverfront to 20th Street.

B125

The Old Court House

11 N. 4th street

Market & Broadway

Original building, 1820s
Henry Singleton, 1839-1845
Robert S. Mitchell, 1852-1862
William Rumbold, 1860-1864 
Status: Restored and in use as a National Park Service museum 
Henry Singleton´s design for the courthouse was approved in July, 1839. The rotunda and west wing were opened in 1845. Between 1851 and 1862, the remaining wings and the dome were completed. The building is in the plan of a Greek cross. The rotunda has four circular galleries and is topped by a cast iron dome of Renaissance form. William Rumbold designed the dome, which predates the U.S. Capitol dome by two years. There is debate as to whether or not the construction of the Capitol dome was inspired by the St. Louis dome. Besides his work on the dome, Rumbold altered the double spiraled staircase and replaced the four large stone pillars which supported the balcony with the present iron columns. The murals in the dome were done by Karl Wimar in 1862, and by E. Hore Miragoli. Those by Wimar are: Laclede selecting the site for St. Louis; DeSoto Discovering the Mississippi River; the British-Indian Attack on St. Louis, 1780; and Cochetopa Pass, Rocky Mountains. The latter two murals were retouched in the early twentieth century. The courthouse functioned as such from 1845 to 1930. Various cases and debates occurred within its walls. It was the site of the famous Dred Scott case which ran from 1847 to 1857. Senator Thomas Hart Benton spoke there in 1849 at the Railway Convention, promoting the Transcontinental Railway. Ulysses Grant freed his one slave there. And during the 1870´s, it was the seat of the movement attempting to move the nation´s capital to St. Louis.

B126

Gateway Arch

2nd & Walnut

Memorial between Walnut & Pine

Gateway Arch
Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
Built: 1965
Architest: Eero Saarinen
Museum of Westward Expansion
Built: 1976
Architect: Aram Mardirosian
When the Arch was built, this space at its feet was enclosed for a museum and two theaters. This area, as large as a football field, remained a roughed in space for a decade

B127

Old Cathedral

213 Walnut

Memorial & Walnut

Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France (Old Cathedral)
Built: 1831 Architect: Joseph C. Laveille & George Morton
Renovated: 1963 Murphy & Mackey
The oldest cathedral west of the Mississippi.
This is the forth church on this site and one of the few buildings to survive the great fire of 1848.  At the time of the founding of St. Louis by Pierre Laclede in 1764, the present site of the Old Cathedral was dedicated for church purposes. Originally the site included the entire block, with a cemetery on its northern half. Three churches preceded the present structure on the site. Log structures were completed in 1770 and 1776 and a brick building was constructed in 1819.
  In 1812, Father Louis William DuBourg was appointed bishop of St. Louis. One of his first priorities was the construction of the town´s first cathedral.
In 1826, DuBourg resigned and was succeeded as bishop by his assistant, Joseph Rosati. As the brick cathedral had never been fully completed, Bishop Rosati reached a decision to build a new and larger church. It was completed in 1834 with ceremonies attended by prelates from throughout the diocese.
The facade and portico of the edifice have inscriptions in Latin, with the name of God in Hebrew upon its pediment. On the interior were paintings from France, some of which are still in place today.
A special distinction was granted to the Cathedral in 1841 by Pope Gregory XVI. This was an indulgence which is only granted elsewhere to pilgrims who visit the seven basilicas of Rome.
  Eventually the need for a much grander Cathedral became apparent and, in 1914, the title passed to the great new structure on Lindell Boulevard. At that time, the Old Cathedral became known officially as the Church of St. Louis of France. The surroundings of the old church became increasingly dismal until it was in the midst of an area of decrepit riverfront warehouses. However, the noble old edifice was returned to a position of physical prominence by the razing of the warehouses for the new riverfront Jefferson Expansion Memorial. The Old Cathedral was restored to its original appearance beginning in 1959. In the process, a forgotten oval window above the altar was uncovered and later incorporated into the restored original interior design.

B128

Gateway Tower

1 South Memorial Drive

Memorial & Market

Built: 1967
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
261 ft. 21 floors   Home to KMOX TV and radio (CBS)

B129

Deloitte building

100 S. 4th

4th & Walnut

(was) MCI Building
Built: 1987
Architect:Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum

At the south end, the office straddles two-story cabana units of the neighboring hotel

B130

Millennium Hotel St. Louis

200 S 4th St

4th between Spruce & Walnut

Millennium/Sheraton Complex                                                                            (Regal Riverfront)
Built: 1968
Architect: William B. Tabler Architects
289 ft. 28 floors

B131

Drury Plaza Hotel

2 South 4th Street

4th between Walnut & Market

Built: 2000
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
132 ft. 10 floors
- This hotel is an adaptive reuse of the American Zinc Company Building and the adjoining International Fur Exchange Building. 
- This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. 
- This building was saved by Charles and Shirley Drury who happened to pass by as the building was undergoing demolition. Demolition was halted when they made arrangements to purchase all three buildings. 
- The early stages of demolition damaged the facade of the Fur Exchange Building and the Thomas Jefferson Building. Both buildings were repaired and the Thomas Jefferson Building was given a new brick exterior to help it blend in with the Fur Exchange Building.                                                                                      International Fur Exchange
Built: 1920
Architect: George W. Hellmuth

Building was aquired by the Carradine Hat Company in 1948. Added building next door in 1959.
Thomas Jefferson Building
Built: 1959
American Zinc, Lead and Smelting Company Building
Built: 1967
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum

The building exemplifies the modernist aesthetic.
Built with the seldom used Vierendeel truss system creating a rigid steel frame expressed in a stainless steel grid.

B132

Equitable Building

10 south Broadway

Broadway & Walnut

Built: 1971
Architect: Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
272 ft. 23 floors

B133

Buch Staduim

100 Staduim Plaza

Walnut & 8th

Built: 1966
Architect: Edward Durell Stone.
Replaced Sportsmans Park for Cardinal Baseball and football. Seating 50,222

B134

Marriott Pavilion Downtown

1 South Broadway

Broadway & Market

Built: 1964
Architect: Javier Carvajal
280 ft 25 floors
The first floor of the St. Louis Marriott Pavilion won the Gold Medal for 'Most Outstanding Building' as the Spanish Pavilion at the 1964 World's Fair in New York. The building was subsequently purchased by the city of St. Louis and rebuilt with additions as a Trade Center. After going bankrupt it was reconfigured as a hotel by Henmi, Zobel, & Fott in 1976

B135

 

10 Stadium Plaza

Market & 7th

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors   vacant as of 2005                                                                         East-West Gateway Coordinating Council

B136

Bowling Hall of Fame
Cardinal's Hall of Fame

111 Stadium Plaza

Walnut & 8th

Bowling Hall of Fame
Cardinal's Hall of Fame                                                                                                               Built : 1983                                                                                                                               Architect: Saunders - Thalden & Assoc.

B137

General American Life National Headquarters

700 Market

Market & 8th

Built: 1977
Architect: Philip Johnson and John Burgee                                                                    vacant as of 2005

B138

Bank of America Plaza

800 Market

Market & 8th

(was Centerre Bank Building)
Built:1981
Architect: 3D/International consultants
384 ft. 31 Floors

B139

Valley Building

900 Walnut

Walnut & 9th

Built: 1913
Architect: W.J. Janisch
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                           Valley Steel Products

B140

 

109 S. 9th street

Walnut & 9th

Built: 1923
Architect: E. Preisler
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                                                           Part of the Valley Building Telcom site now

B141

1010 Market Building

1010 Market

Market & 11th

Built: 1981
Architect: Edward Larrabee Barnes
296 ft. 20 floors
This is the tallest building in St. Louis known only by its street address.

B142

Thomas F. Eagleton Courthouse

111 S. 10 Street

10th between Walnut & Clark

Built: 2000
Architect:Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum
557 feet 28 floors

Second-tallest court/judicial building in the world, surpassed only by the Richard J. Daley Center in Chicago. 
- The postmodern design borrows heavily from neo-classical themes like those of the nearby Civil Courts Building. 
- This is the tallest building completed in St. Louis since 2000

B143

Mel Carnahan Courthouse
US Courthouse & Custom House

1114 Market Street

Market & Tucker

Mel Carnahan Courthouse
US Courthouse & Custom House
Built: 1933
Architect: Mauran, Russell & Crowell
161 ft. 10 floors

- This building contained the courtrooms for the 8th District until they were moved to the new Thomas F. Eagleton Courthouse, just to the southeast. 
- The old US Courthouse & Custom House was renamed the Mel Carnahan Courthouse in honor of the late Missouri Governor who died in 2000 while campaigning for the US Senate.

B144

Court Square

1106 Walnut / 101 S. 11th Court Square

11th & Walnut

(Winkelmeyer Building)
Built: 1902
Architect: Otto J. Wilhelmi
Built for an invesment property for Christina Stifel Winkelmeyer.
Converted in 1985 to an office building designed to atract attorneys

B145

Saint Louis Justice Center

200 S. Tucker

Tucker between Clark & Walnut

Built: 2002
Architect: Kennedy Associates & HOK, Inc.
? ft. ? Floors

B146

 

133 11th

11th & Clark

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B147

City Garage and Fire house

1106/1122 Clark - 314 Tucker - 1125 Spruce

Tucker & Clark

Built: 1927
Architect: Study & Farrar
? ft. ? Floors

B148

Globe warehouse

1132 Spruce St

Tucker & Spruce

Built: 1915
Architect: F. C. Bonsack
? ft. ? Floors

B149

Endicott Johnson Shoes

420 S. Tucker

Tucker between Spruce & 64 hwy

Built: 1923
Architect: Nolte & Nauman
? ft. ? Floors

B150

Cupples Station warehouse

1015 Spruce

Spruce & 11th

Cupples Station
Built: 1882/1900
Eames & Young
These buildings remain of the 18 that formed a freight handling transfer and storage complex near the mouth of the mile long double track tunnel leading from Eads Bridge to the rail yards of Mill Creek Valley.

B151

Cupples Station Building #70

1014 Spruce

Spruce & 11th

Built: 1907
Architect:Eames and Young
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                          Grahm Paper

B152

Cupples Station Building # 69

1000 Spruce

Spruce & 10th

Built: 1894
Architect: Eames and Young
Building number 69 has many of the architectural features typical to this complex. The ground floor has large rounded arches. The middle floors are treated together and topped with round arches, and smaller arches are repeated on the sixth floor. Like many of the other buildings, it was a curved brick cornice at its roofline and on the first floor.

B153

Cupples Station Building #73

1000 Clark

Spruce & 10th

Built: 1897
Architect: Eames and Young
Cupples Station Building number 73 has many of the features typical of the Cupples Station complex, although its Richardsonian Romanesque design appears much more modern. The ground floor features six large arches on both sides and back of the building. These Romanesque arches are repeated at the top of the fifth floor, as the second through fifth floors are treated together. A series of smaller arches again repeat the motif on the sixth floor. There is also a curved brick cornice line at the roof and on the first floor.                                                                                                                                                                       Hammermille paper

B154

Cupples Station Building #72

910 Spruce

Spruce & 9th

Built: 1895
Architect: Eames and Young
This building follows the form of the Cupples Station complex with one variant. Like most of the other buildings, the first floor has massive, round, arched windows and doors. Unlike the others, the large arch is repeated again on the second floor. The rest of the building is true to the Cupples Station form, with the middle third through sixth floors treated together and smaller arches on the seventh floor. A rounded brick cornice also appears on the first floor and the roofline.

B155

Westin Hotel

811 Spruce

Spruce & 9th

Built: 1902
Architect:Eames and Young                                                                              Built: 2001
Architect: Trivers Associates.
Reused four of the Cupples station warehouses. Built 1895 (8th & Spruce), 1911 (8th & Spruce), 1917 (8th & Clark) and one built by J. Howard, 1905 on 9th & Clark

B156

New Bush Stadium

 

Spruce & 7th

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors

B157

STL Community college

300 S. Broadway

Broadway & Clark

Built: 1896
Architect: I.S. Taylor
? ft. ? Floors

B158

Glaxso Smith Kline

320 S. Broadway

Broadway & Spruce

Built: 1911
Architect: I.S. Taylor
? ft. ? Floors

B159

 

301 4th

4th & Clark

Built: ?
Architect: ?
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                          TUMS Building

B160

 

319 S. 4th

4th & Spruce

Built: 1888
Architect: F.C. Bonsack
? ft. ? Floors                                                                                                         AH Lewis Medical 1905

B161

Pet Building

400 South 4th Street

4th & Spruce

Built: 1967
Architect: A.L. Aydelott & Associates
- The Pet Building is being converted to 118 rental apartments during 2005-2006. The developers may seek a nomination to the National Register of Historic Places to help defer redevelopment costs. 
- It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.